Home » Crime » Romford man guilty of manslaughter
Convicted: Tommy Roome

Romford man guilty of manslaughter

THE KILLING of Ricky Hayden was manslaughter, not murder, said the Old Bailey today – at the conclusion of the trial of Tommy Roome, 20, of Rams Grove, Romford.

Ricky Hayden was killed outside his home in Gibbfield Close in the Marks Gate area of Romford, near Chadwell Heath. The family was woken at around 1.30am on 13th September last year. Hayden looked out and saw a group of men trying to steal a moped which belonged to Ricky’s brother Perry and which was parked outside Ricky’s home.

Ricky, his father Paul and Perry went out – and were physically attacked by the Group, one of whom – Tommy Roome – was carrying a large, machete-style knife. Ricky received a deep stab wound to his left thigh, which damaged a major artery.  Paul Hayden also sustained serious knife wounds.

Victim Ricky Hayden

The two injured men were taken to hospital. Ricky Hayden died the following day and the cause of his death was given as the stab wound to his thigh. Paul Hayden was treated in hospital and later discharged.

The attempted theft and attack were investigated by the Metropolitan Police Homicide and Major Crime Command. Roome was arrested on 20th September with another suspect, Kevin Malamba, being arrested on 11th October.

Roome was found not guilty of murdering Ricky Hayden and not guilty of the attempted murder of Ricky’s father Paul. Kevin Malamba, 20, of Rodney Road, Southwark, admitted perverting the course of justice. The two convicts will return to Court later to be sentenced. Tarrel Hinds, 20, of Manford Cross, Chigwell, was found not guilty of murder and attempted murder at the same hearing.

DC Paul Garvey of the Homicide and Major Crime Command said: “Ricky was attacked and stabbed right outside his house after confronting Roome who was trying to steal his brother’s moped and was intent on causing trouble. Extreme violence was used against Ricky and his father Paul with devastating consequences. Ricky’s family have had to endure unimaginable pain and grief following Ricky’s death. They have been fully supportive of our investigation from day one, and acted with the utmost dignity and courage throughout the inquiry and trial.”

•Read more about it:
Persistent sex offender leaves Poplar – for jail
Prison for assault in East London hotel



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *