Home » Sports » Sporting Bengal power to first league win

Sporting Bengal power to first league win

Emdad Rahman

Sporting Bengal United FC v West Essex FC

Sporting Bengal United defied their league form and position as a blistering 16 minute spell saw the boys in blue power into a three goal lead in the Essex Senior League game against West Essex FC at Mile End Stadium. The pulsating start was the springboard for Sporting recording a confident victory against their opponents who are six places above them in the tables.

The Essex Senior League clash against West Essex got off to a flying start for the boys in blue as Kudus Olowe’s dancing feet in a tight position and crisp finish from a tight angle resulted in a sixth minute goal for Sporting.

Chris Ratambwa doubled the advantage on 13 minutes with a six yard box tap in as the West Essex rearguard failed to clear a corner. Sporting were all but handed the points as a poor clearing clearance in the penalty area from a quickly taken free kick fell to Tony Tandon, who surged in late. The Sporting star took the ball in his stride to side foot home an excellent right footer just inside the box to make it three in the 16th minute.

sporting-1West Essex could not cope with Sporting displaying strength in numbers as Imrul Gazi’s men besieged their opponents goal. The tide subsided after the first 20 minutes and the visitors were allowed a foot back in the game, making the occasional foray into the opposition half. But Sporting looked powerful and dangerous during numerous counter attacking moves with the ball being sprayed the full length of the field through precise passing and crisp control.

The second half was played at a more subdued pace, but there was plenty of drama. Sporting almost made it 4-0, but the linesman ruled offside. With 89 minutes on the clock, the hard working Matt Ford of West Essex earned a last minute penalty and Joe Lefley planted a left footed spot kick to beat Denzil Kobia in the Sporting goal and make it 3-1.

Kobia was on full alert as a late corner saw the Sporting keeper fingertip a goal bound effort which smashed his underbar. There was no fairytale comeback for West Essex despite a valiant second half as Sporting celebrated their first win of the season.

Manager Imrul Gazi said, “Much needed three points. It was disappointing to concede late, but this is a morale boosting win. The players have been outstanding with their commitment throughout and the win is thoroughly deserved. Hopefully this timely win will be the bedrock for a surge up the table for us. We now focus on the FA Vase.”

ESL Premier Result:
Sporting Bengal Utd 3 v West Essex FC 1

SBUFC – Kudus Olowe (6), Chris Ratambwa (13), Tony Tandon (16)
West Essex FC – Joe Lefley (Pen 89)

Attendance: 67

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *